Sunday, 5 February 2017

Jan Steen paying a visit

On the paper is written on the ground, "No medicine will help against the pain of love". This text refers to women in the four-poster bed with love pains. The doctor writes a prescription, and all bystanders laugh at it. It is a well known and popular 17th century theme, love pains.

Paper is on the right on the floor |Hier baet geen medesyn want het is minepijn
17th century people would know immediately that this is not a common doctor is paying a visit painting. Even when there was no note written, the cupid above the door, the painting in the back they would have recognized it as love pain. Jan Steen made several paintings with this theme, and this one is made around 1665 and is on display at Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

8 comments:

  1. Should actually be named 'loss of love' rather than 'love' pain. Thanks for the history lesson. :)

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think she has lost her love? She might just miss her love as he went to sea. Or miss her love like the girl with the naughty name's guy as he travels around the world.

      I like to think there is a happy ending to this painting.

      Han

      Delete
    2. Permanent or temporary...to me, it's the loss of the lover causing the pain rather than love itself. Of course, that's just my opinion, which along with a $1, might get ya a cheap cup of coffee. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
    3. Your opinion is worth just as much as mine, and mine cost more than one dollar or a cheap cup of coffee.
      Does Starbucks count as cheap cup? Nah.
      The loss is bigger than gaining the love of a lover? Interesting. But I think nothing beats love itself. That feeling when you are in love that feeling hurts like nothing else when he or she is gone. But better to have loved and lost, I think.

      I like my coffee latte, no sugar.

      Han

      Delete
  2. I love that I never know what to expect when I visit here. I so often learn something new.....thanks for adding to my education.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what most people use their facebook for, a collection of what they "like".
      This is my "like" collection.

      Han

      Delete
  3. So no meditations against Love pain?
    So what helps, Han?
    Did Jan Steen left some answer?
    Smile.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To keep believing in love, Mona Lisa. That is the only medicine. No medication will help.

      I'm afraid it's a Van Meegeren answer not a Jan Steen answer.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...