Thursday, 8 September 2016

What encourages me?

What encourages me? Good question. Not sure I get the right translation. Courage is bravery. What makes me brave? What does strengthen me? Is that the right translation?

Where do I get my strength from? From the top of my mind: my daughter. I have told you sometimes that she has a little more restrictions in life than most people have. She has a rare disease that makes bad connective tissue and that means that her ankles bend easily so she falls quite unexpectedly and often, she has almost no strength in her hands and she is tired from walking 300 metres (900 feet). 

But she is almost always cheerful and optimistic, she has learned to drive a car and accelerate with her knee, without using your right foot. She drives now trough busy streets of Amsterdam, went on holiday with her service dog and her car, alone just to experience how it would be like, taking care of your own household.

My daughter shows me day in,day out that you should look at the things you can do, not the things you can't.


Her friend and service dog

12 comments:

  1. Oh..Hurrah for your daughter....she inspires me also. Cute dog..bet he is a good buddy for her.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is quite a lady, my little girl. And he has the most kind-hearted dog that ever lived.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Wow, Han! Your daughter is definitely an inspiration. You and Wanita helped give her that gift of confidence and strength. Thank you for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that some of it was due to the way we raised her. And part of it is her character as well..
      What a nice thing to say,

      Han

      Delete
  3. I bet your daughter received a lot of encouragement from you and Wanita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we support her with whatever we can. But with all support you still have to do it yourself, Leigh. But you are well aware of that of course,

      Han

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tribute to your daughter. it's nice, isn't it, when we can appreciate our children for the gifts they bring us just being who they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly wonderful Olivia to see your kid grow into a mature woman. I loved all of her ages, even as a baby. But there is something special about this age. You can talk like equals.

      I love it,
      Han

      Delete
  5. Your daughter is sure an inspiration. We should all learn a lesson from her about looking on the bright side.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like she is never down from pain or something, but she always gives it a twist that makes you smile.
      And that, Lindy, is so wonderful.

      Han

      Delete
  6. Lovely post, Han.
    Yes, your daughter is your...
    Teacher.
    About life.
    Isn't it great?
    You must be very proud of her, Han.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a sharp observation Mona Lisa! She is my teacher about life. Reversed roles, due to much pain and suffering.. It makes you grow up awful fast.
      What a wonderful comment,

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...