Sunday, 1 May 2016

To me, fair friend, you never can be old

Beauty doesn't change in the eyes of the lover, William Shakespeare writes in his Sonnet 104. Everything changes in the seasons, but not the beauty of the beloved. And when you are gone I will never find someone as beautiful as you....

Sonnet 104:

To me, fair friend, you never can be old,
For as you were when first your eye I ey’d,
Such seems your beauty still. Three winters cold,
Have from the forests shook three summers’ pride,
Three beauteous springs to yellow autumn turn’d,
In process of the seasons have I seen,
Three April perfumes in three hot Junes burn’d,
Since first I saw you fresh, which yet are green.
Ah! yet doth beauty like a dial-hand,
Steal from his figure, and no pace perceiv’d;
So your sweet hue, which methinks still doth stand,
Hath motion, and mine eye may be deceiv’d:
For fear of which, hear this thou age unbred:
Ere you were born was beauty’s summer dead.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this lovely poem, Han.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Cat. I'm glad you liked it.

      Han

      Delete
  2. This poem made me cry..
    So beautiful..

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if the great master of poetry couldn't make you cry, Mona Lisa? No, seriously, it's such a wonderful poem.

      Han

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful. It made me almost cry. I don't remember this piece of his writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of Shakespeare's better known sonnets, but who reads the Shakespeare sonnets any more. Who is Shakespeare? Drake we know but the sonnets are... old.

      Not to us, they ain't.
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...