Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Gethsemane - Ted Neeley

During filming of Fiddler on the Roof, Barry Dennen, who played Pilate on the concept album, suggested to Norman Jewison that he should direct Jesus Christ Superstar as a film. After hearing the album, Jewison agreed.



Cast

Casting

The cast consisted mostly of actors from the Broadway show, with Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson starring as Jesus and Judas respectively. Neeley had played a reporter and a leper in the Broadway version, and understudied the role of Jesus. Likewise, Anderson understudied Judas, but took over the role on Broadway and Los Angeles when Ben Vereen fell ill. Along with Dennen, Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene), and Bob Bingham (Caiaphas) reprised their Broadway roles in the film (Elliman, like Dennen, had also appeared on the original concept album). Originally, Jewison wanted Ian Gillan, who played Jesus on the concept album, to reprise the role for the film, but Gillan turned down the offer, deciding that he would please fans more by touring with Deep Purple. 

Ted Neeley

Ever since the movie in 1973 Ted Neeley performed Jesus Christ Superstar more than 5000 times. On Tuesday 15 December 2015 I saw Mr. Neeley life, performing in the Netherlands.

1973       Ted Neeley         2014
Neeley says in interviews, asked he still loves his role: "Every time I hear those first sounds the intense feeling comes back to me. This is such an intellectual, spiritual and emotional role that I discover something new every time. It has drastically changed my life. I'm very grateful for that. "

6 comments:

  1. You are so lucky, Han! I have never been lucky enough to see this in person but have heard from several friends that it is an awesome experience.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing and hearing this man sing, was an awe-inspiring experience for me, Cat.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Every time I hear those first sounds the intense feeling comes back to me. This is such an intellectual, spiritual and emotional role that I discover something new every time. It has drastically changed my life. I'm very grateful for that. "
    Exactly, Mr.Neeley.

    Thank you Han.
    It is just so beautiful.. It makes me cry..

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are in the theatre you really see that Mr. Neeley means those words.

      Sorry I made you cry,
      Han

      Delete
  3. I have not listened to this in a while...but the memories are still with me...seeing this show is truly and emotional experience.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does come back, doesn't it? I'm glad it does.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...