Sunday, 31 January 2016

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

People ask the most stupid questions. One of them is: Would you be rather deaf or blind? To be Beethoven and getting deaf is terrible, to be the father of Dylan Thomas and go blind is just as bad. His son made this very intense poem to come to terms with his fathers blindness...



Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas 
(1914-1953)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh, may I presume you like the poem?

      Han

      Delete
  2. Ahh..one of my favorites..teaching poetry was always a special time for me....the students would respond in so many various ways...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if one or more of your body parts stop functioning as they should before their time, it must be hard to accept. It is betrayal from within.
      And it is - like any disease of your loved ones - more easy to deal with it yourself than having to see it and can do nothing.

      This poem for me is the epic helplessness and anger it evokes.

      Han

      Delete
  3. The teacher in me give you an A+ my friend..
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that question posed to me one time too often as well, Han... I couldn't imagine living without either.. to never see or hear the ocean, a raven cawing, or the joyous face of a child and its laughter... I don't think I could handle it. Thanks for the Dylan poem. Has always been one of my favorites. ~Lori~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have a daughter who spends much of her life in a wheelchair, she had to cope with lots of stupid questions about her limitations. And she is always focussed on what she can do, not so much of what she cannot do. And that I think, is an admirable quality.

      Yes, the Dylan poem has been close to my heart for a long time as well... So as this blog is a collection what I like so much, I wouldn't want to miss it.

      Thank you so much for your comment Lori,

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...