Saturday, 25 March 2017

The Matthew Mission




A special film for Easter. A film about the mystery of music, the magic, the inspiration of musicians, about emotion, about the irrepressible enthusiasm with which Reinbert immersed himself in Bach's monumental work.

Pianist, composer, conductor Reinbert de Leeuw, 78 years old, has dedicated his life to modern classical music, from Schoenberg to Oestvolskaya. Now, arriving in the crook of his life bow, he turns around and he stretches out his arms to Johann Sebastian Bach. To the St. Matthew Passion.  

For months he studied the score, incessant, obsessive.

He has a mission, dreams of the St. Matthew. Ideally, he had his other concerts will cancel. "If I had to occupy only me the rest of my life just with the St. Matthew Passion, I would do so," he says. Filmmaker Cherry Duyns follows Reinbert from the first days rehearsal with orchestra, choir and soloists to the poignant performance in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.





This documentary is only in mainstream movie theatres at 13:30. Smile only grey hair audience I think. But I will take a day off in April to see it! The Reinbert de Leeuw version is better than Ton Koopmans version. Better than the Netherlands Bach Society (All of Bach-project).

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as if this will be an interesting film...will have to check to see if it's being shown anywhere in my area. Thanks for sharing, Han.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance, I think. Maybe if you are lucky they will show this documentary at 23:00 on some channel nobody watches?

      The Netherlands is a St. Matthew Passion crazy country by the way,

      Han

      Delete
  2. I would like to see ot.
    Maybe it Will shows innSwedrn too.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said to Cat, I do not think they will show it abroad. Maybe on TV, someday but you will have to look well at the schedule...

      Smile,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...