Saturday, 18 March 2017

I loved you

Я вас любил: любовь еще, быть может,
В душе моей угасла не совсем;
Но пусть она вас больше не тревожит;
Я не хочу печалить вас ничем.
Я вас любил безмолвно, безнадежно,
То робостью, то ревностью томим;
Я вас любил так искренно, так нежно,
Как дай вам бог любимой быть другим.

 Alexander Pushkin




I loved you: and, it may be, from my soul
The former love has never gone away,
But let it not recall to you my dole;
I wish not sadden you in any way.

I loved you silently, without hope, fully,
In diffidence, in jealousy, in pain;
I loved you so tenderly and truly,
As let you else be loved by any man. 

Translated by Yevgeny Bonver,

I loved you; and perhaps I love you still,
The flame, perhaps, is not extinguished; yet
It burns so quietly within my soul,
No longer should you feel distressed by it.

Silently and hopelessly I loved you,
At times too jealous and at times too shy.
God grant you find another who will love you
As tenderly and truthfully as I.

  Translated by Babette Deutsch

6 comments:

  1. These struck me as very sad, Han.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - sad but sometimes so very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who has loved some one and wasn't loved in return will embrace the words I think. But no one could say it like Pushkin did.

      Han

      Delete
  3. Yes, sad, But sooo beautiful .
    One of the most amazing poem about Love.
    Anout unhappy love.
    And listen to it in orginal languange is so beautiful. Russian is for sure a beautiful languange.
    Beautiful x 3 , Smile.

    Thank you, Han.
    What a beautiful post.
    Beautiful x 4.
    Smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Russian, the language made for deep male voices. It's beautiful. Words can relief the grief of the heart. And words that capture the grief of the heart is best written in a poem.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...