Saturday, 21 January 2017

When to wear an overcoat

It's cold in the room I'm writing this blog post right now. I had a look on temperature outside and it's freezing, just a bit.


I am cold, and I have a cold. It reminds me of my mum that used to warn us not to have your coat on going in and out of the house. This weekend I moved my daughters stuff over to her house. She is living there since Sunday now. And yes, I do miss her. But in moving her stuff we walked a lot in and out of her house of course.
I have this book called "Principles of Public Health" by Thos. D. Tuttle. It was published in 1910, four years before the great war started. It's a very nice book because it explains the most essential now common sense things about hygiene and staying healthy. It's on Gutenberg as well. Here is what inspired my mum used to say to us:



In cold weather the same amount of clothing should not be worn in the house and outdoors; for this reason, we have overcoats. If you wear your overcoat in the house, you will become over warm and your underclothing will then become damp with perspiration; when you go outdoors into the cold air, this dampness will have just the same effect as would dampness that comes from outside.

As soon as the weather gets cold, put on your overcoat every time you go outdoors, and take it off as soon as you come into the house. This is troublesome for boys and girls to do, because they want to run in and out of the house so often; but on the other hand, think of all the cells you will kill if you do not do this, and you will certainly consider it worth while to take off your coat and put it on again.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry you are not feeling well, Han. My ex MIL always insisted that if you went outside in the rain or went out with wet hair, that you would get sick. You might lower your resistance a bit but other than that, it's a virus!

    Sending prayers and healing energy for you.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are taking turns. First Wanita, after that my daughter and now it's my turn.

      Thank you for your beautiful wishes,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Sorry, Han.
    I hope you Willie Soon better.
    Like a Cat, I believe in virus .
    Smile .

    Hugs,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so bad, just a cold. Of course there is no such thing as "just a cold" to a man. It's a small disaster.
      But anyway, I don't think it's a virus. I have proof: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53974.

      People in 1910 already knew it wasn't a virus.
      Han.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your cold. Ray has one now too. You're right it is a small disaster. I try to keep a straight face but it's hard.

    It's cold here in AZ, not like your cold but cold nonetheless. Seems to be good advice in the book.

    Glad your daughter is settled into her new home. Soon, you'll fill up the empty spaces and but you'll never stop missing her presence in those spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he's soon better, poor man. Have a little mercy. Take good care of him, because he needs you badly right now.

      And you are so right, you can fill the empty spaces in your house, but there is always a little space in your heart, just for her...

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...