Friday, 21 October 2016

Music for a Knight

To continue my collection of Hallelujah's, this is Alleluia, O virga mediatrix by Hildegard of Bingen



In the Gregorian chant liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church, the Alleluia was imported from Judaism. The word literally means "Praise to the Lord (Jahweh)" and had been an expression of devotion since Old Testament times. It is very interesting that the only time Hildegard of Bingen wrote music for an Alleluia, it was her Alleluia, O virga mediatrix, which is proper to the Mass of feasts in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which would have been held in high honour by her nuns.

Hildegard's poem borrows from some common concepts in Marian theology, though they are expressed with her characteristic passion. She speaks of the Virgin as "Mediatrix" (mediator between mankind and God), as flower, and as closed garden (one with "sweetest integrity" of her virginity). Hildegard's music is also rather characteristic of her style.

This is the start of the Knight collection for a few days to come. I look forward of showing you my kind of knights. The first one, obviously is in music. Music for a knight.


,

6 comments:

  1. Whoa! This one takes me back to my childhood. Not sure it's one of my favorites but thanks for the memories, Han. ;)

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does? I hope I haven't brought on too many bad memories...

      Han

      Delete
  2. Music for a knight. I think of the movie A Knight's Tale which is a hoot. If you havent' seen, add it to your list. It's the story of a ersatz knight with modern music in the background. A fun watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put it on my little TBS list, Leigh, thanks for the whisper.

      Han

      Delete
  3. Like it. Very nice voice.
    I like Holdegards music.
    Thank you , Han.
    I enjoyed it. very much.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Mona Lisa, I thought it might be to your taste.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...