Thursday, 1 September 2016

The best parts of fall

Some people don't like the fall, others gush about it. It's the time of year that I like. I like it that the worlds gets darker, the days shorter.

It's the time of cosiness. Of warmth at home and cold outside. Of lights inside and dark outside. Of people inside and emptiness outside.




What better way of saying goodbye to your leaves than to transform them all into such a feast of colours?




Darkness. To bike to work in the dark and bike an hour and a half back from work in the dark. Darkness is intimate. Peaceful. Quiet. I worked a lot of night shifts and only hated to sleep during all the sounds of the day that kept you awake.









stewed pears



Pears

My parents ate stewed pears all through the fall. The pears we use are pears that are especially sold to make stewed pears: Giesser Wildeman pears. They are quite small, hard, and ugly looking. When cooked, they become soft and delicious.
Stewed Pears: What you need

Ingredients

  • 1 kilogram (2 pounds or lbs) of hard pears, such as Giesser Wildeman
  • 1 stick of cinnamon or a tablespoon of cinnamon powder
  • water
  • 2 sachets of vanilla sugar, 8 grams (0.3 oz) each (this is just sugar with vanilla flavor, really)
  • 2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
  • 3-4 cloves

Stewed Pears: How to prepare
  1. Peel the pears. You cut them in fours, take out the core 
  2. Put in a pan. 
  3.  Add water so the pears are just covered. Add cinnamon and cloves. Bring to the boil.
  4.  Add sugar and honey.
  5. Put on a low heat for at least 1.5 to 2 hours, until the liquid becomes syrup-y. Stir every now and then. After 2 hours, the pears will be even more red-brown in colour.
  6. Take the cloves and cinnamon stick out of the pan and let the pears cool down. Keep them in the refrigerator until use.
Stewed pears means autumn.






10 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Han. I do enjoy fall with the changing of colors, cooler evening and earlier sunset. Love your stewed pears recipe! Have a similar one for apples as that is the big fall crop in our area...along with pumpkins and turnips. ;) Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Cat. We share a lot of the same tastes.

      LOL, sometimes,
      Han

      Delete
  2. One of the things I love where I live, is watching the leaves brighten the earth with all of their colors every fall...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a feast for the eyes and such a truly farewell gift of nature I think. You can say goodbye to leaves as green as they are, but saying goodbye in such exuberance of colours is truly remarkable, don't you agree?

      Han

      Delete
  3. I also love to see the changing colour of the leaves. I hate that the stays get shorter, though also love to be cosy inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't have one without the other, Julie. I'm glad you share my taste of colours.

      Have a beautiful autumn,

      Han

      Delete
  4. Yes, fall is nice, and ythank you for your Stewed pears. I will try it. Mona Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anything that takes a long time to cook, I like. To see those pears become slowly red is truly worth waiting for.

      Han

      Delete
  5. I love fall! It's my favorite for all the reasons you share!
    My husband has worked many a night shift, but never biked to work! I know he hated missing all during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well biking to work three hours a day, only in three seasons a year, smile. I am a good weather biker. Working at night has something special about it, I'm sure your husband will agree upon that.

      Thank you for your comment, Minelle.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...