Monday, 12 September 2016

My favourite meal

One thing that reminds me of my grandmother is baked liver. We used to come as a family, my six aunts and uncles, and their kids to my grandmother on Saturday. As we, my mom, my dad, my sister and I were the only ones that did not live in Delft, we had lunch at my grandmothers. And many, many, many times baked liver was on the menu.

It's still my favourite meal. It's more a memory dish, I think.
But I don't care. I like it.



Recipe:


Ingredients

  • 2 pounds sliced beef liver
  • 1 1/2 cups milk, or as needed
  • 1/4 cup butter, divided
  • 2 large onions, sliced into rings
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Gently rinse liver slices under cold water, and place in a medium bowl. Pour in enough milk to cover. Let stand while preparing onions. (It takes the bitter taste out of the liver, so let it soak for at least two hours, or a bit longer if possible).
  2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Separate onion rings, and saute them in butter until soft. Remove onions, and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. Drain milk from liver, and coat slices in the flour mixture.
  3. When the butter has melted, turn the heat up to medium-high, and place the coated liver slices in the pan. Cook until nice and brown on the bottom. Turn, and cook on the other side until browned. Add onions, and reduce heat to medium. Cook a bit longer to taste. Cut to check if it's nice and pink inside, I like it that way.

8 comments:

  1. You and my dad would have gotten along, Han! He loved calves liver...we had it once a week when I was growing up. Absolutely hated it...fed it to my cat when I could get away with it and when I couldn't, buried small piece in a large bite of mashed potatoes. ;) Thanks for sharing...even though I do not like liver, this brought back happy memories.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought about your dad was: I hope so! Glad about te memories, they are food for the mind.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Well, something else we have in common...My mom loved liver...she fried it...and I was the only one who would eat it with her..the others went out for burgers with my dad. Thank you for a new way to try it.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like my receipe. I will try your way of eating. never thought about frying..

      Bon appetit,
      Han

      Delete
  3. I like liver and ..... My mom prepared it exactly as your recipe . With milj and flover.
    Smile.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have something more in common, Mona Lisa.

      Eet Smakelijk,
      Han

      Delete
  4. i love liver and onions! My mother used to make it, but not with your recipe. i used to make it too when my kids were younger. Now that it's just MP and me - and MP is a selective eater - i don't cook much of anything. But i'm saving your recipe for sometime when we have a visitor who likes liver too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Invite some guests.. Do you like liver? No? In 2 months at our place? Do you like liver? Yes? Next week?

      Eet smakelijk,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...