Friday, 24 June 2016

Sexism on the brain



I often come across some blog post and I so wish I could write like that. We always want what we cannot have, sigh.
The post I am referring to this time is Language: a feminist guide

It is a wonderful essay on the influences of "semi-scientific" views on the brain differences between men and women. Brain research is complex, and difficult to explain. And the writer is not very impressed with those new scientific researchers, I just have to quote her:
For every scientist doing her best to communicate the complexity of contemporary brain research, there are a hundred non-scientists—self-help gurus, life-coaches, marketing consultants—churning out what has been labelled ‘neurobollocks’, a species of discourse that purports to be scientific, but is actually, ‘self-help books dressed up in a lab coat’.
Then she wipes the floor with books like books that shows there is a "male and female brain", 
 and "classics of neurosexism" like Why Men Don’t Iron, Why Men Don’t Listen and Women Can’t Read Maps, or Men are from Mars, women are from Venus?
The writers are not as much interested in a well researched and well documented scientific article, but more into making a quick sell:
But what these writers also know is their audience. Readers who buy books with titles like Why Men Don’t Listen and Women Can’t Read Maps are not looking for a nuanced, scientific discussion of sex and gender. They’re looking for a story that confirms their beliefs about how men and women are different, and reassures them that men and women will always be different no matter how much feminists shout and scream. It’s not about the science, it’s about the politics. 
The point that ms. Debuk (feminist, linguist, writer) is making that there is not much scientific evidence in neuroscience that supports popular views on men and women. If that is true, I cannot say, I can only recommend her website as very interesting.


3 comments:

  1. Hmmm I'm going to check it out. I raised a boy and a girl.... Lots of nieces and nephews around. Hmmmm..... No differences... Wonder how they researched.... I believe we have differences. That doesn't mean we aren't equally capable and intelligent... Can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The issue ms. Debuk raised was about the use of language, that women would talk more than men and talk more about emotions. And it seems there is little scientific proof for that...

      Thank you for reading, Minelle,

      Han

      Delete
  2. I think she is right .
    I read nap very well and My man can ironing , bette then me, and I know several men, who can speak of emotions and several women , who can't and vise versa.
    Smile.
    We are, who we are.
    And we are made but expectations about what is right abd wrong for a man abd woman.
    So, yes, Han, I think, she is right.
    Thank you,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...