Monday, 23 May 2016

Gethsemane - Ian Gillan





Original version of this all time musical classic. Deep Purple's Ian Gillan played the role of Jesus and his interpretation of this immortal cut defined all the upcoming ones. When this work was recorded, Deep Purple was on the top of the musical world, so Ian was unable to join the plays in Broadway, nor film the 1973 movie.

The musical started as a rock opera concept album and was released in September 1970. The length of the album was 86:56 minutes. The "rock-opera" music genre was only preceded by "Tommy". It was sung-through, with no spoken dialogue. The story is based on the Gospels' accounts of the last week of Jesus's life, beginning with the preparation for the arrival of Jesus and his disciples in Jerusalem and ending with the crucifixion. It highlights political and interpersonal struggles between Judas Iscariot and Jesus.





6 comments:

  1. OMG!
    This is so strong and Powerfull performance!!!
    I remember it from My childehood .
    I could'n oppen it here, so I got listen to youtube.
    Thank you.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter how many times I listen to it, each time I listen I'm captivated by this song.

      4 more to come,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Wow...I hadn't heard this in a long time and had forgotten how powerful it is. Thanks, Han.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well by the end of the week you've heard it a couple of times, but each time I hear it, I'm still moved by the power of this song.

      Well done Mr. Rice and Mr. Webber,
      (very young both when they wrote this),

      Han

      Delete
  3. I have listened to this music many times...and see the show a couple times...you and I seem to have the same taste many areas.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it nice to have some of the same tastes...

      I like it,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...