Sunday, 20 March 2016

Station 4: Jesus meets his mother

 "Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by? Look around and see. Is any suffering like my suffering that was inflicted on me, that the LORD brought on me in the day of his fierce anger?"
Lamentations 1:12



Adrian Wiszniewski, 'The Stations of the Cross: Jesus Meets his Mother' 

Adrian Wiszniewski (born 1958), made "The Stations of the Cross: Jesus Meets his Mother" in 1999. It is Linocut on Japanese tenjin paper.
The colour of this print is symbolic of Christ 's mother Mary. Artists have traditionally shown her wearing light blue robes.


Leonard Porter - Jesus meets his mother

Another contemporary artist, but this one is completely different. Leonard Porter (1963) painted the stations of the cross in commission oft the Church of Christ the King in New Vernon, NJ in 2011.

Roberto Ferri - Jesus meets his mother

Roberto Ferri (born 1978) is a modern painter that I admire very much. His paintings combine the old school technique with modern fine painting. This painting is truly a masterpiece. Light and dark are Rembrandish.

6 comments:

  1. Art is very subjective...and I only know what appeal to me...the last one is the one I like best. The bright colors in the middle one seem misplaced to me.... As soon as I saw the blue in the first one I thought of Mary...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mary comes to mind in the first painting. It's a very interesting painting and in sharp contrast with the second one.
      The second one with it's exaggerated colours is seen often in churches all over the world. There are so many replica's of this theme and all with this bright colours, almost childlike.
      The last one reminds me of Rembrandt so much. A contemporary artist paying tribute to the old master, and yet has is own style of painting.

      Thank you for your comment,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm...
    What a diff styles.
    But . One think I must say, when I see Mary.
    I don't like blue one. What a gigant Mary. Maybe is it symbolik..
    I understand old painters from 200- 300 years ago.
    But those young, modern one:
    When Jesus died , Mary was a woman in her 50. Then, it was a old woman but I don't see it on any painting. Isbit si hard be different?
    Han, I know you understand , what I mean.
    Very interesting post.
    Thank you.
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a lot of symbolism in the first painting. But like Abby says, it's a question of taste if you like it or not. And fortunately we all have different tastes.

      I could not agree more with you about Mary's age. Yet she is always portrayed as a young woman in all those centuries of painting.

      Thank you for your comment, Mona Lisa,
      Han

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Han. This particular station is one that hurts my heart...I keep thinking of how crushed I would be if this was one of my sons. I prefer Robert Ferri's depiction. Porter's, as Abby pointed out, is was too bright and as much as I love Impressionist paintings, Wiszniewski's proportions are just too off!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the one we can relate to, isn't it? The mother loosing her child and there is nothing she can do about it...
      The painting of Ferri is almost sensual, and heartfelt.
      Porter is more classic in his bright colour use, but very interesting in the way the cross is painted and the guard above this cross. A very interesting composition of characters.
      The last one, I chose with you in mind, I was sure you would love this one. OK, proportions are off, but that is symbolic.

      Thank you for your comment, as always,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...