Friday, 12 February 2016

The Riding Crop


Today I want to share an old Chinese poem with you from Lu Ji who lived from 261 to 303.

Lu Ji wrote "the art of writing" and that book was quite influential in those days. How good this book was shows this next verse that tells the writer that better is the worst enemy of good.


The Riding Crop


Sometimes your writing is a lush web of fine thoughts
that undercut each other and muffle the theme:
when you reach the pole there's nowhere else to go;
more becomes less if you try to craft what's made.
A powerful phrase at the crucial point
will whip the writing like a horse and make it gallop;
though all the other words are in place
they wait for the crop to run a good race.
A whip is always more help than harm;
stop revising when you've got it right.

9 comments:

  1. That last line....somehow I always think I can make it better...love the analogy tho...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It waits for the crop, I think. Your last line.

      Han

      Delete
  2. I too always think I can make it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh! You are making this one far too easy...

      Maybe you do need the crop to get it better?
      Smile to you my friend,
      Han

      Delete
  3. The Riding corp ..
    This three words can get misleading thoughts in head.
    Smile..
    I am glad I dared read and I like this poem very much.
    Thank you, Han.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet on wrong horse, Mona Lisa. Oh, God. I am so funny... It least I always laugh at my own jokes, Smile,

      Thank YOU, Mona Lisa,
      Han

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful. I'm reading through your recent posts as well. I'm glad to have come across you and have added you to my blogroll.

    Best wishes,
    Abby Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words, Abby W. It is nice to have you here.
    Thank you for adding me, come back soon,

    Han

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think I can do better whether it's my work or my paintings...Hard to turn loose. ;) Thanks for sharing, Han.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...