Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Tea, high or low

Jean-Étienne Liotard, Still Life, Tea Set, 1781 - 1783 c., The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles,
oil on canvas, 37,8 x 51,6 cm

The moment I saw this beautiful still-life painting of a Chinese tea set it made me think of two things. No three, actually. The first: How amazing it is if you can paint like that, in that much detail. Some modern camera's are less sharp than these two centuries old painting.

The second it made me think of High-Tea's in restaurants all over Holland. My English (rather Scottish) colleague would smirk that none of them even slightly resembles the real thing. It makes me feel a bit as a cop commenting on a crime series, that it is not the same as the real thing. The real thing has become something of the elite, and the masses will do with the McDonalds version of High Tea: Fast, simple, affordable for all classes, and easy to make. (The origin of High tea, also known as meat tea or tea time in Ireland, usually refers to the evening meal or dinner of the working class, typically eaten between 5 pm and 7 pm.) To Wanita and my daughter a high tea is a typical Mother-Daughter thing.

Thirdly it made me think of a tea ceremony from the country this tea-set above originates.The tea ceremony. And how important BDSM people think a ceremony is becomes clear in this newsletter from 2005, 10 years ago, the first issue with lots of interesting articles and a tea ceremony that takes half the content of the newsletter. This issue is saved by Luna at Submissive Guide. The link to all of her new posts are on the right hand column and I can recommend all of them. She is a wonderful, kind, warm and loving person who is always willing to give some one who askes good advice. A woman with kindness and sense of reality.

BDSM is full of ceremonies. Like the Ceremony of Roses or a Collaring Ceremony or a Contract Signing Ceremony. So I was not surprised at all when in this newsletter 3 pages of all the small details of a tea ceremony were carefully written down for you to imitate.

And all of that, because of a tea set on a painting...

8 comments:

  1. I love the way your mind works, Han. The painting is beautiful and the detail is wonderful. Thank you for sharing the links to Luna's blog and particularly the tea service.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I always love the way my mind works, Cat :-). The tea service is nice to read of course, there are many variations on that....

      Thank you for your kind words,
      Han

      Delete
  2. That painting looks like a photograph, the detail is fantastic.
    We eat 'tea' over here, as it still refers to the main meal of the evening, where as afternoon tea is for drinking tea and having cake. Of course, it also means coffee these days.
    I shall check out the links. Thanks,
    DF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, about eating 'tea'. Nice... Smile.
      I envy you,

      Han

      Delete
  3. Beautiful painting and beautiful tea set.
    I will tell you a secret, Han.
    I LOVE old tea and coffe sets.
    I LOVE use them and drink from them.

    Thank you for a nice post.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in some restaurants you get a china tea cup, and that tastes sooo much better...

      Han

      Delete
  4. Lovely tea set and the painting is amazing. I have introduced my grands to a semi formal tea time from the time they were 2..they love it. Rituals...of many different kinds are important, I believe.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you take rituals seriously. It's in the nature of dominant and submissive people I think to love rituals.

      Semi formal tea time. Sounds good...

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...