Saturday, 13 February 2016

Smoking

I started smoking when I was 19 years old. My mother smoked, and my father was a chain smoker. I don't know if that is an English expression, chain smoker, but he smoked them not to break the chain.
I was late when I started smoking and I started smoking a Big Ben pipe not the same but almost the same as the one below.





I thought it would made me look quite interesting. I read books how very interesting people are who smoke pipes and that the Dutch were masters of making a pipe. So I bought one. Quite expensive. And I smoke my first pipe. I was sick all evening to the point of throwing up. Boy. I was. Boy, Oh Boy. This was something you had to do several times. But the damn thing did not burn well. And my mouth would be full of hot disgusting smelling smoke.

No, not a good investment, a pipe. Well I was 19 and very interesting so I switched to cigarettes. But not any cigarette you know. Of course not. I bought a box of John Player Specials. That was me. John Player, and I was special. The cigarettes were special as well, you could tell because they were much more expensive than normal cigarettes.

I had a box just like that one. Very special. And so easy to smoke, you lit them and they burned until the special filter. And I learned to like it. And show off my expensive cigarettes. After a while is was not so special any more. Everybody had seen my round boxes. And as my financial means were less and less and less I switched to smoking shag. Drum shag was for pussies, Van Nelle zware shag (heavy shag), that was the thing to smoke. With rice smoking papers. Those who were made for joints really, but as I have never smoked pot in my life, I used them for my heavy Van Nelle.














As I matured only money wise, I switched again to something I really liked. And still like very much so: Cigars. The smell of a cigar can still make me longing for one. It is called ADDICTION. I only smoked de Heeren van Ruysdael. Dutch cigars but excellent quality.

Ah. I only smoked them to enjoy the taste, the smell, the feeling in your hands. About 16 years ago I quit. Cold Turkey. I had three cigars left in my box, I closed it, gave it to my Wanita and said, I quit smoking. And I did. Never touched one since that day. Honestly. Not one. Yes it was hard at first. No, I did not buy nonsense like nicotine plasters. I just stopped. And I was silently quite proud of myself.... But that doesn't mean I'm not tempted when I see a beautiful box of cigars, especially from "my" house. Still after 16 years.

I will never smoke again. In the last few years there has been a change in the attitude towards smoking. People who smoke are treated like pariahs at work, and they have to go outside in the cold to smoke addiction away. People don't except it any more if someone smokes when visiting. The world of smoking has changed and it will never change back.
When I was young, it was as normal as wanking your dick when you were young to start smoking. Often 13, 14 years old. It truly was. See this ad below, that tells it all:




9 comments:

  1. I too smoked to join everyone else. Luckily, I came to my senses about 35 years ago. Ray still smokes cigars. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray smokes cigars. Of course he does, he is a man of good taste.

      Han

      Delete
  2. That picture of the pipe brought back memories from long ago. The man who acted as a father to my dad..always smoked a pipe..I loved the scent and seeing him fill it.
    I tried 1 cigarette and hated it...lucky me, one less bad habit to break....Yeah for you!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I never started any drugs was: if it was as good as everybody said it was, I would be a hopeless addict and end in the slumps. I was so NOT going to take that chance...

      Better not start, sensible woman, I always knew,

      Han

      Delete
  3. My farher was a smoker. It costed hos life.
    and I developed an aversion to the smoking. Even though I have never smoked, my lungs looked like smoker's lungs, when I was 20 years old, they asked me how much I smoked ..

    I am glad you was so strong and could stop, Han.
    What means "" Cold Turkey?"

    Take care,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the advantage of today, nobody smokes with the smoker against their will...

      "Cold turkey" is from drug-addiction-care and describes the abrupt cessation of nicotine and the resulting unpleasant experience, as opposed to gradually easing the process through reduction over time or by using nicotine plasters or chewing gum for instance.

      Han

      Delete
  4. Oh, Han, this is touching my memory. My father was a tobacconist. When I was 12/13 he told me it ws time to get smoking. He wanted me to start wit the so called Egyptian cigarettes, Christo Cassimis. They were for women. I changed to Virginia cigarettes. My last make was Pall Mall plain (without filters).
    I had a challnge at the office where I worked after my time in the army. I proved it was easy to stop smoking.
    Later in a stressful period in my life I asked for a cigaret and was addicted again. Several years later I had to quit smoking for a week by doctor's orders. Then I quit finally. That was good, because a few years later I was involved in a car accident. My lung was punctured by a broken rib. I've never smoked again. Only passively during the first year. Later I gated it to be in company with smoking people.
    Han, you made me remember....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It brings back memories doesn't it Appy? Good thing you quit, in more ways than one.

      Drive carefully,
      Han

      Delete
  5. That pipe brought back memories, Han. My dad smoked cigarettes but he also enjoyed a good pipe every so often and loved the smell of his pipe. I was a smoker for years...only had a few brands I liked and no matter how much I craved a cigarette, if I couldn't have one of 'my brands', I would not smoke. Quit cold turkey also 3 years this coming March and still crave them at certain times...really enjoyed the taste. Oh well... Thanks for the memories. :)

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...