Friday, 25 December 2015

First Christmas Day

Icelanders have a beautiful tradition of giving books to each other on Christmas Eve and then spending the night reading. This custom is so deeply ingrained in the culture that it is the reason for the Jolabokaflod, or “Christmas Book Flood,” when the majority of books in Iceland are sold between September and December in preparation for Christmas giving.

I love to read Christmas stories. I have a small collection of them.
My Mother in Law comes to visit us today. My daughter is working tonight and after she is finished we will have a nice dinner. I have bought a book for Wanita and my daughter this year. I hope I get one as well.

Dear Mama by Esther Verhoef for Wanita


















Happiness for my daughter

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful custom...had never heard of it. Part of my Christmas gift to the grands every year is always a new book....Have a wonderful evening and day tomorrow...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did not know about the tradition and yet you participated in the tradition. It is wonderful...

      Han

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful custom. I always buy books for the grands, and other small ones too. Get them interested in reading early on and they'll be readers for life -

    Happy, Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Et tu, Brute? How wonderful. I'm sure it helps to start at a young age, I was young when I had many books... How thoughtful of you.

      Han

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing a lovely custom, Han. Never heard of it before but I always try to get my children and now my grands at least one book for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems many people follow the Northern tradition and I am so glad you do as well, Cat. What a nice gesture.

      Han

      Delete
  4. Very nice presents, Han. Wanita and your daughter are very lucky to have you as their husband and dad.
    Happy Christmas to all of you.

    appy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you to say, Appy. I hope you have had a wonderful and merry Christmas yourself.

      Han

      Delete
  5. I like idea with books.
    Happy Christmas Han to you and al family , Han.
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it very much myself Mona Lisa, I have got a book as well this Christmas.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...