Monday, 26 October 2015

Bach's devine music

Bachs motet Komm, Jesu, komm  is, like most of his motets written for two choirs for four voices. and was intended for a funeral or memorial service.The text was originally written in 1684 for the funeral of Jacob Thomasius, rector of the Thomasschule, and set to music by one of Bach's predecessors in Leipzig, Johann Schelle. The original text contains eleven stanzas, but Bach chose to use only the first and last (for reasons which are not clear). The original text was written by Paul Thymich (1656-1694, a teacher of the Thomasschule in Leipzig.




This performance is by "the Sixteen". And like other people are fan of Madonna or Adele, I am a fan of "the Sixteen". The choir is world famous now for their interpretation of baroque music. And it's so wonderful how these skilled singers make this performance resonate in your soul.



1. Choral
Komm, Jesu, komm, mein Leib ist müde,
die Kraft verschwindt je mehr und mehr,
ich sehne mich nach deinem Frieden;
der saure Weg wird mir zu schwer!
Komm, komm, ich will mich dir ergeben,
du bist der rechte Weg,
die Wahrheit und das Leben.
1. Chorus
Come, Jesus, come, my body is weary,
my strength wanes more and more,
I long for Your peace;
the sour path becomes too difficult for me!
Come, come, I will yield myself to You,
You are the true path,
truth and life.


2. Arie
Drum schließ ich mich in deine Hände
und sage, Welt, zu guter Nacht!
Eilt gleich mein Lebenslauf zu Ende,
ist doch der Geist wohl angebracht.
Er soll bei seinem Schöpfer schweben,
weil Jesus ist und bleibt
der wahre Weg zum Leben.
2. Aria
Therefore I enclose myself in Your Hands
and say goodnight to you, world!
Even though my lifetime rushes to its end,
my spirit is nevertheless prepared.
It shall soar with its Savior,
since Jesus is and remains
the true path to life.

10 comments:

  1. Ahh...beautiful, heavenly. Master and i just sat here, eyes closed, enjoying a small personal concert. Thank you very much Han.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heavenly is it not? I have listened to it sometimes, even after I have posted this one, listened to my own post. And the music fits the words so perfectly.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! I'll need to share with my dad. He will love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, the music is so soothing, so full of... It brings peace in your heart when you need it most.

      Han

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the beautiful music along with a bit of history lesson Han!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile, my teacher ways got the better of me again huh? Music is so much better when you know a bit of context. Did you know Motets are usually based on the Bible texts, and it is very uncommon that Bach wrote this Motet on a poem from just a amateur poet what was to become his own music school? It makes this one so special.

      Han

      Delete
  4. I always learn something interesting when I visit your blog. You are a wonderful teacher. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind to say so, Leigh. Thank you for your kind words.

      Han

      Delete
  5. Wonderful , just wonderful, Han.
    I realy like The sixteen.
    I want know more about them.

    Thank you.
    Mona Lisaå

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Literally 16 singers. World famous like Adele is for popular music.And soooo good.

      A joy to listen to, and I am so glad you liked it as well,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...