Saturday, 22 August 2015

Never the same

Not only his famous St. Matthew Passion is so beautiful, Bach's St. John Passion is so beautiful as well. Some people say, if you have heard it once, you will heard it all.

It's not true. I will prove it in this post with the two last chorales from the St. Johns Passion.
Here is is recording number 1:



I have never heard this before. I found it stunning.
The next recording is closer to Bach and more traditional:



39. Chorus

Flauto traverso I/II, Oboe I/II, Violino I/II, Viola, Continuo

Ruht wohl, ihr heiligen Gebeine,
Rest in peace, you sacred limbs,
Die ich nun weiter nicht beweine,
I shall weep for you no more,
Ruht wohl und bringt auch mich zur Ruh!
rest in peace, and bring me also to rest.
Das Grab, so euch bestimmet ist
The grave that is allotted to you
Und ferner keine Not umschließt,
and contains no further suffering,
Macht mir den Himmel auf und schließt die Hölle zu.
opens heaven for me and shuts off hell.

40. Chorale
Flauto traverso I e Oboe I e Violino I col Soprano, Flauto traverso II e Oboe II e Violino II coll'Alto, Viola col Tenore, Continuo
Ach Herr, lass dein lieb Engelein
Ah Lord, let your dear angels
Am letzten End die Seele mein
at my final hour carry my soul
In Abrahams Schoß tragen,
to Abraham’s bosom,
Den Leib in seim Schlafkämmerlein
while my body in its narrow chamber
Gar sanft ohn eigne Qual und Pein
gently without pain or torment
Ruhn bis am jüngsten Tage!
rests until the last day.
Alsdenn vom Tod erwecke mich,
Wake me then from death,
Dass meine Augen sehen dich
so that my eyes see you
In aller Freud, o Gottes Sohn,
in all joy,o God’s son,
Mein Heiland und Genadenthron!
my saviour and throne of mercy
Herr Jesu Christ, erhöre mich,
Lord Jesus Christ, hear me,
Ich will dich preisen ewiglich!
I shall praise you eternally!


I don't know about you but after each recording, those words kept ringing in my head:
Herr Jesu Christ, erhöre mich, Ich will dich preisen ewiglich!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Han...all beautiful...haven't really picked a favorite yet.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Cat. Just glad we don't have to make a choice. They are each so different...

      Thank you for listening,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Exactly what I needed this morning, Han.
    Thank you.

    Mona Lusa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased it filled a need, Mona Lisa. I hope you liked them all.

      Thank you for listening,
      Han

      Delete
  3. You have a wonderful way of starting my day with a smile...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling back at you Abby,

      Thank you for listening,

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...