Monday, 24 August 2015

Churchtowers of Delft, the Old Church

Well, if there is a New Church, there must be an Old Church somewhere nearby. And it is. The "Old Church", nicknamed Oude Jan or Old John, is from 1246. You cannot miss the Old Church, it's tower is almost two meters from the vertical.





I don't know if it's a true story but a monk who lived in the monastery across the Old Church requested to be transferred to another monastery for he was afraid the tower would come down. It lasted a few hundred years after that and it probably will for some time.Because the tower was built over a canal at the time the foundations were too weak and the tower was even when they build it, not straight.

Jan van der Heyden, ca. 1660

The most massive bell in the tower, cast in 1570 and called Trinitasklok or Bourdon, weighs nearly nine tonnes, and because of its strong and potentially damaging vibrations, is rung only on such special occasions as the burial of a Dutch royal family member in the nearby New Church.




6 comments:

  1. I so enjoy the history you share with us Han. Can definitely understand why they would not want to ring that bell on a regular basis...I agree that the vibrations could cause damage to the foundation. Thank you!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there on the route of the burial of two of the members of the royal family and it is a very impressive sound. It resonates trough your body... The military and policeman standing on both sides of the route some meters apart, thousands of them between The Hague and Delft is an impressive sight as well.

      Thank you for your nice words, Cat.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sound!!! Just beautiful!!!
    I always think of: How many people during centures were listening to this Bell ...

    Nice post, Han.
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you like it Mona Lisa. Yes an old building like that, how many different times it must have seen. It was around in the times of the plague, it was there when the Father of the Fatherland was killed not far from it.

      Thank you for your kind words, Mona Lisa,
      Glad you liked it,

      Han

      Delete
  3. Again another very interesting post, Han. At school I didn't like history, as we only had to learn historical dates. I wish you had been my teacher.

    appy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't care for history Appy? I did, even as a kid I was fascinated by old houses. The stairs of the New Church of instance, I used to think as a kid how many feet went before me, up and down.

      I guess I'm just curious,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...