Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Selfie

I had never seen it before. I must be old...
It is a selfie stick. Made to make a selfie. Now I do not get the urge to make a selfie very often, but I am in the minority of people, otherwise these things would not sell like crazy....

Now everyone is very much allowed to look at him or herself and make a picture. I would never risk my 300 euro smartphone on a 4,95 euro stick, but hey... I you want to take the chance, be my guest..




The Rembrandt exhibition "the Late Rembrandt", made my think of my Gravatar. It is in the Rijksmuseum (not on the exhibition, but somewhere in that huge building), but I couldn't find it.


The Rijksmuseum says about it:

"Self-portrait of Rembrandt, Etching at a Window, Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn, 1648
etching, h 160mm × w 130mm.
Rembrandt is hard at work. His concentration is evident as he studies his reflection in the mirror. The artist is drawing what he sees directly onto the copperplate, resting under his hand on a folded cloth. While in earlier self-portraits he dressed up in eccentric costumes, here he portrays himself in a simple hat and jacket, the clothes he normally worked in".

I like that. It is a selfie that not hides behind fancy costumes, but displays the man just like he was. I choose it a year ago, and this is what Han van Meegeren looks like: a common man, with a hat, concentrating on his work. Near the window, just like I'm now.

3 comments:

  1. I don't own a selfie stick too. I understand the most selfies are taken together with another, preferably famous, person.
    Self portraits are different i.m.o.

    Greetings, my friend,

    appy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own a selfie stick and do not take selfies...the camera hates me and I hate the camera! Thanks for sharing the information regarding Rembrandt's self portrait.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't own a selfie stick either, nor will I. I'm with Cat - I don't like seeing myself so close up and personal. As always, enjoyed the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...