Monday, 20 April 2015

Q = Question about BDSM-symbol




Did you ever looked really well at the BDSM-emblem? You will find it on many sites and people use it as a symbol for "freedom of sexual experiences". To come out of the closet BDSM-wise. To show and to warn people this is something (not) to play with.

I wondered how the symbol, a bit like the yin/yang sign became the logo of BDSM. And there is actually a site that tells it all. And there is actually someone who invented this symbol.

For all of us that are curious about the elements of the emblem, here is his explanation:

There are the three aspects that are most often overlooked in representing the emblem.
  1. The rim and three curved "spokes" of the design are meant to be presented in some metallic colour. On the original pins and pendants this area is raised. This colour (it may look like iron, gold, silver, copper, bronze, anything metallic) is indicative of the "chains" or "irons" of BDSM servitude/ownership.
  2. The three inner fields are black, representing a celebration of the controlled "dark side" of BDSM sexuality.
  3. The three "dots" are not dots but holes. The background of the page should be visible though them. These holes, as described in the original explanation of the symbol, denote the incompleteness of any individual practitioner in that BDSM is at the least a play style and at most a love style, and cannot be practised alone. There is always the need for a complimentary other.
  4. The arms curve clockwise. There is no reason for this other than the fact that this is how I envisioned it when I was first designing it. But it's been set, so one clockwise is correct and counter-clockwise is backwards.


The BDSM Emblem is copyright 1995 by Quagmyr@aol.com who maintains the copyright in order to protect the symbol. It is freely available for all educational and non-commercial use within the BDSM community without charge.

12 comments:

  1. Again, thanks for sharing and you are right, knowledge is power and should be shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older you get, the more you know you know only so little, applies to me Leigh. I learn every day...

      Thank you for your nice words,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Again I come to visit and learn something new Han! I have always thought the BDSM symbol was lovely but never knew the history behind it. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice of you to say Cat! I was curious of the meaning behind it, and that is why I started to search...

      Thank you for your kind words,
      Han

      Delete
  3. An extremely informative post, Han. I didn't know the background behind the symbol. Now, I do, thanks to you. See, I can't rhyme unintentionally... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either know anything about it before, girl with the naughty name, so I had to search for it. The symbolism is quite nice, I think.

      Thank you for your rhyming words,
      Han

      Delete
  4. As always, very interesting, Han. Thank you.

    appy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it interesting, Appy.

      Thank you for your flattering words,
      Han

      Delete
  5. Ok, now I know.
    Thank you, Han, very interesting post.
    I had NO idea..

    Take care, Han,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the teacher in me Mona Lisa! I'm glad you found it interesting.

      Thank you for your lovely words,
      Han

      Delete
  6. This symbol appears in my latest book - yet to be published and I called it the treskelion, but didn't describe what it looked like, on the basis anyone can go and look it up. I should tell them to come here instead!
    I'm enjoying your A-Z, I haven't always been commenting, but I've read them. I'm also participating in a vanilla capacity, so I'm there in that list somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The credit should go to the man who made it Del Fonte, quagmyr, at the site I made the link to in this page. He did think of a wonderful symbolism in the emblem. I like the YinYang aspect of the emblem very much.

      Thank you for your kind words though, and good luck with the challenge as well,

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...