Monday, 30 March 2015

Ruht wohl ihr heiligen Gebeine

I listened to the performance of the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam yesterday performing the St. John Passion of Johann Sebastiann Bach. At a terrible fast pace I might add. Richard Egarr was conducting and I was not impressed at all. I think he wanted to catch the 18:00 train, so bloody fast.

What does impress me everytime I hear is the last piece: Ruht wohl ihr heiligen Gebeine. There is such acquiescence, such resignation in this piece of music it makes you calm inside.
But the closing choral keeps going on in your mind long after the music is gone. The music builds to a climax and the choral ends with:
 
Herr Jesu Christ, erhöre mich,
Ich will dich preisen ewiglich!

I you don't have patience to listen to Ruht wohl you really should fast forward to 06:50 minutes where this choral begins. It gives me gooseflesh every time I hear it!


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Han...it is a very moving piece.

    Hugs and blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a very moving piece of music. Fitting to my mood at the time.

      Smile,
      Han

      Delete
  2. My parents always had this blasting out at Easter time. I love it, both of his passions - I get the goose bumps too.
    I've nominated you for an award - just a bit of fun, pop over to my blog to find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am behind answering posts, DF sorry. I will look at your site as soon as I can...

      I love both his passions as well of course, I have posted on Good Friday a link to the all of Bach site with a very good performance in the Netherlands today.

      Thank you for the nomination and your reply,

      Han

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Han. I have enjoyed it very much.
    Listening to it twice .

    Take care,
    Mina Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once is not enough, I agree Mona Lisa, I have listened to it a few times in a row as well...

      Thank you for your comment,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...