Sunday, 1 March 2015

Lying in me



Lying in me, as though it were a white 
Stone in the depths of a well, is one  
Memory that I cannot, will not, fight: 
It is happiness, and it is pain.
Anyone looking straight into my eyes  
Could not help seeing it, and could not fail 
To become thoughtful, more sad and quiet 
Than if he were listening to some tragic tale.

I know the gods changed people into things, 
Leaving their consciousness alive and free.
To keep alive the wonder of suffering,  
You have been metamorphosed into me.

Anna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966)

6 comments:

  1. thought provoking, Han. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh to be my stone in the depth of a well.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Wow Han...have never read this one before. I agree with Sunny...very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wow, Cat. The wonder of suffering is no stranger to either of us and that makes this poem so special.

      Thank you,
      Han

      Delete
  3. Han.. Yes , all we have are memories. How to create memories, even the negative are called "living life".

    Take care,
    Mina Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living Life. I like that Mona Lisa. To create memories, lying in me; the good, the bad and the ugly,

      Wonderful comment,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...