Sunday, 15 March 2015

Book News

 Goodreads challenge

Thinking about reviews reminds me to challenge Mona Lisa on a book written in 1965: It is the homecoming of Harold Pinter.





In an old and slightly seedy house in North London there lives a family of men: Max, the aging but still aggressive patriarch; his younger, ineffectual brother Sam; and two of Max's three sons, neither of whom is married -- Lenny, a small-time pimp, and Joey, who dreams of success as a boxer. Into this sinister abode comes the eldest son, Teddy, who, having spent the past six years teaching philosophy in America, is now bringing his wife, Ruth, home to visit the family she has never met. As the play progresses, the younger brothers make increasingly outrageous passes at their sister-in-law until they are practically making love to her in front of her stunned but strangely aloof husband.
I have never read (or seen a play of) Pinter, and one of the nice things about the Goodreads Book Galore Challenge is  that I read "famous" books, I have never read before... I love to do new things in life. So if you read this Mona Lisa, consider yourself challenged...

Erotic books

One of the good things as a result of "Fifty Shades of Grey" (you know I have not a very high opinion on that book slash movie) is that it opened a market for writers to write about BDSM related fantasies. There was a time not so long ago every book on that subject was an exception and therefore worth reading. Now I receive mails in my inbox everyday about a female writer that has a new fantasy on paper. There are so many nowadays I cannot read them all, I cannot read even some of them. So I will keep on being loyal to the writers I have started with and I know I will like their books. I don't know if you have noticed but the regular buyers will agree with me the prices have gone up as well. Almost 6 dollars on average is not very much money, but than again a lot of the books are somewhere around a 100 digital pages or less.



So I will post my reviews on Amazon as well, but I thought it is a nice idea to share them on my blog as well. It is no secret I like to read books intended for a mostly female audience, and I don't care what anyone thinks of it. I keep on wandering how many of those female writers names are really bold old man with a belly pot, writing under an a pretty and exotic female pseudonym. There must be a lot of them, I think. Never mind. It is fantasy. And in fantasy everything is allowed, it is an escape from reality for most women who read it, and for me as well. I love the female point of view. I hope reading how females react, learning from it, will make me a better lover.

And my Wanita is and will ever be as long as I live the sole judge and jury on that subject.

 Sylvia's Surrender

I know a Sylvia that would not surrender even if she was tortured. Smile. I always have a picture in my head how the heroine of the story looks like and this time is was a very conflicting image of Sylvia. Still it's nice to dream.

Dinah McLeod is one of my favourite writers. She is one of those people who put so much energy in writing and it is wonderful to see how that pays off. Dinah's books always have a strong love component in them and that is why I haven't missed one single book from her hand. Dinah doesn't promote her books like some of the other writers do, so in a crowded field you might have missed her, but every book of this wonderful woman I have enjoyed. I have been following her books since "The Errant Bride" and her book "Sir, Yes Sir" (book two in the lovely series "Old Fashioned Husbands") is of breathtaking beauty.

Blurb:
Five years ago, Jake Hastings threatened to spank Sylvia Hawthorne for misbehaviour at the local bookstore, and it changed her life forever. Intrigued—not to mention powerfully aroused—by such brazen dominance from a stranger, Sylvia was more than happy to give herself to Jake that night. Upon discovering later that their passionate encounter left her pregnant, she made the fateful choice to keep her situation a secret from Jake, deciding instead to raise the child on her own. But when her now-five-year-old son is diagnosed with a rare disease and needs a bone marrow transplant, Sylvia is left with no choice but to swallow her pride and face Jake again.
She is prepared for almost any reaction from Jake… at least any reaction other than for him to step back into her life, ready to love and care for not only their son but her as well. To her shock, Sylvia soon learns that, in Jake’s book, taking care of a woman also means taking her over his knee for a long, hard, bare-bottom spanking when he believes it necessary. Yet despite his firm discipline, Sylvia soon finds herself falling for Jake in a way she never gave herself the chance to before. But will the same mistrust that kept them apart for five years ultimately destroy their newfound romance, or can Sylvia overcome her fears and surrender her heart to Jake?
 There you have it, all the elements of a good McLeod book. A woman is falling for this guy has one wonderful night with him and like Sylvia says to her mom: "If I wouldn't have that night, I would not have my son". To come and face your problems of the past and deal with it is something Dinah writes often about and she does it so well. I have enjoyed every page of her book. In other books she has more focus on why the girls submits to the male, what is in it for her. In this book the desire to be spanked is a given, and Jake gives spankings and those make Sylvia feel safe and loved and cherished.

Sylvia's Surrender is a lovely book and it has everything you would expect to find in a DD-novel: The tough but gentle man, the vulnerable yet fierce woman and as a bonus a cute kid. Well done, Dinah!









6 comments:

  1. Very nice and I agree with you about Dinah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh, that was nice of you to say so.

      Han

      Delete
  2. Hey Han...I haven't read any of the books you wrote about...thanks for the suggestions.

    Hugs and blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. McLeod I can really recommend. About Mr. Pinter, well let's find out after the Mona Lisa challenge, shall we?

      Thank you for your comment, Cat,
      Han

      Delete
  3. Yes, Han, I am reading this and I am taking on the challenge.

    Take care,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. How wonderful Mona Lisa! So when do we begin? Next Monday?

      Eager,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...