Thursday, 26 February 2015

Mona Lisa's Smile

I'm delighted that Mona Lisa kept her promise to make a guest post on my blog. And I'm sure you will agree with me, it was well worth waiting for....

"Choose one of your favourite poems and tell us all why you like the one you've chosen."


Han wrote  to me Choose one of your favourite poems and  why as "compensation" for my lost of Goodreads challenge of 1964, that I have lost.

I  have read somewhere that poetry is nourishment for the soul and I agree with that.
I usually turn to poetry when I feel bad, when I'm sad or even feel good and I'm happy.
Poems has followed me throughout my ölife.

I'm one of those kids who has competed in the recitation of poetry since I was 6 years old. I used to represent my school in these competitions and recite poetry chosen by my teachers  and when I got older I choose what I wanted to compete in. All of this has taught me to love poetry.

 Hmm…… a fairly easy but actually a really hard question ..
Which poem should I choose?
Which poems we usually choose shows how we feel, how our soul feels ..

In less than 18 months, I have lost two people who have stood very close to me and who has meant SO  much to me.
Should I choose this poem poem or that one? Both used to nurish my soul when my grief was at the most gruelling.

Or any of beautiful poems of Karin Boye, "Of course it hurts when buds burst." ?
Or maybe something about love?
So many wonderful love poems are written through the ages.. From fiery and pasionerade Neruda's poems which Han van Meegeren so nicely presented on his blogg. I really thought much about this task, but at the same time my thoughts came back to that ONE special poem.


Ok.
I have decided.
It will be the special poem that has meant so much to me throughout my life.
But first I want to tell you why.


There once was a girl of 17 years who experienced her first, strong, pure, innocent love.
He was a young man a few years older.
But as it usually is in this life .. and life is not easy ... it went as it went.
He was not free.
He has given his vows of love to someone else.

No, wrong.To something else.To an institution.We all know how those first failed love can hurt. How we remember them all our lives. And when this girl was hurting the most, she found this special poem that helped her get over these difficult moments.Wonderful words, wonderful rhythm .. beauty in every word. She learned it by heart in the original language.It was her daily mantra, to give her the strength to go on ...


Here is the poem, written by Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin

 


I Loved You
I loved you; and perhaps I love you still,
The flame, perhaps, is not extinguished;
yet It burns so quietly within my soul,
No longer should you feel distressed by it.
 
Silently and hopelessly I loved you,
At times too jealous and at times too shy.
God grant you find another who will love you
As tenderly and truthfully as I.








What happened to this girl and this young man?
It went as it should.
She was happy married to a man who  reminds pretty much in his character of him,
and he has reached very high position in its institution.
They are happy.
They are still in touch with each other once a year.
     





4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and beautiful poem Mona Lisa. You definitely nailed this challenge :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Roz, Mona Lisa. Thank you. And thank you too, Han.

    appy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all three of the poems cited...had read only one of them. I am also a lover of poetry...it speaks to our souls and our hears....Thank you Han for a wonderful idea for Mona. And Mona...from a former English teacher you get an A++!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing poems I've never read before ML...love all three! Thanks Han and ML for this fun challenge...you both end up challenging us all with your selections.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...