Thursday, 5 February 2015

Delft, City Hall







In the night of 4 February 1618 the old Delft City Hall built in the middle ages burned to the ground. Only a tower of the thirteenth century survived the fires. The City Counsel asked a few builders to build a new City Hall and chose the design of Hendrick de Keyser, that also was designing the new grave monument for Willem van Oranje at the time.

De Keyser build a new late renaissance building around the old tower and the building was ready in 1620.

Above the entrance it says in Latin: This house hates rascals,  loveth peace, punishes crimes, treasures human rights and honours the devout.

And in the City Hall there is this wedding room:




And I sat on the left chair.(Like it was yesterday).

9 comments:

  1. Time does fly - beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like it as well. It makes a good background for wedding pictures.

      Thank you for your comment,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the wonderful history, beautiful pictures and lovely memory Han.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it Cat. My Wanita looked radiant in her white dress that day.

    Dreamy Smile,
    Han

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful place to have a wedding, Han! :) So rich with history and beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Katie, I'm glad you like it as much as I do.

      Thank you for the time you took to comment,
      Han

      Delete
  5. Wonderful building, it must be speciell feelings be a part of history..

    I like it.
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still is a special place for us Mona Lisa. It is really strange standing there a few years later and your kid is singing Sinterklaas songs to Sinterklaas who came down that stairs... Or even now when I see the Japanese people with their big camera's on our town square, and I think: OMG, I'm on a Japanese computer somewhere next month in the folder "Dutch holiday".

      Greetings from the Netherlands,
      Han

      Delete
  6. A very nice wedding room, Han. Surely compared to the one my Wife and I got married in. But the result was and still is great.

    appy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...