Tuesday, 4 November 2014

First they came...


First They Came For The Muslims

by Michael R. Burch (contemporary American version of Martin Niemöller famous poem "First They Came for the Jews")

First they came for the Muslims
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for the homosexuals
and I did not speak out
because I was not a homosexual.

Then they came for the feminists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a feminist.

Now when will they come for me
because I was too busy or too apathetic
to defend my sisters and brothers?

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and poignant. Thanks Han.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Cat.

      Thank you for taking the time,
      Han

      Delete
  2. Strong and true words.
    Nice.
    Thanks.

    Take care,
    ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mona Lisa, so true.

      Thanks for your comment,
      Han

      Delete
  3. This is such a profound poem. It is one that I never forget the meaning of even when I have forgotten the exact words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is referring to the original poem. The words are similar and of all times I think. "What you actually love is most truly reflected in your actions, not in what you feel, think or say." The same goes for speaking up, I guess.

      Thank you for your comment

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...