Saturday, 29 November 2014

Contemplating


My choice of 1962 was a book based on the notes Mahatma Ghandi himself made in:

The Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas
I didn't want to build a week around this Goodreads challange book, like I did in 1959, 60 and 61, because this book the time frame in which is is written is not as important as the content is different. The content is without a time frame, timeless. Inspired by the great Ghandi, I decided to bring forward the sin of  Pride. I originally planned Pride to be the last of the seven deadly sins. 
Secondly I decided to make no distracting posts in my week of contemplation. 
What is the opposite of pride? According to Gandhi it is humility and it really does work. The hundreds of curious viewers looking for sensation in the Quattuordecim challenge disappeared as fast as they came, until I had left nine people yesterday.
And today the voice of Aafje Heynis came out of nowhere and sang of redemption.

I have never heard a voice so tender, so honest, so averse of aggrandizement and yet so strong, and full of inner conviction. Like Bach himself. Aafje Heynis. Forgotten maybe, but not by me. The voice of an angel.

Scholars doubt this piece is by Bach. It doesn’t matter who wrote it. It is one of the most comforting songs I have ever heard.

If you are with me, then I will go gladly
unto [my] death and to my rest.
Ah, what a pleasant end for me,
if your dear hands be the last I see,
closing shut my faithful eyes to rest! 

Alternative translation:

When thou art near, I go with joy
To death and to my rest.
O how pleasant would my end be,
If your fair hands
Would close my faithful eyes. 

The fear of dying plays a prominent role in our existence. And these words say on the most beautiful melody written ever, “When thou art near, I go with joy to death and to my rest. Oh, how pleasant would my end be if your fair hands would close my faithful eyes.”

world-religions









And it brings tears in my eyes even to write it here. And it really doesn’t matter to the Devine I think if your thou is the Christian God, or the Muslim God, or the Jewish God, Buddha or goes by any other name. In the end if there is peace within yourself, and not being scared to death of death, is the most important thing.
 
So tomorrow I will publish my review of the Ghandi book. Today is for introspection. 














4 comments:

  1. Omg, Gan, what a wonderfull post!
    And you are so right. My God is your God, because it is only one God!!!
    The voice of angel... Now I am crying, the words and musik are so beautifull..

    Thank you, Han, from My heart.

    Take care ,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Mona Lisa. She has just the purest voice possible. And the world would be a better place if we would act more like the words. Because the words in any thick book are universal: those of love.

      Thank you so much for your comment,
      Han

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post Han...brings tears to my eyes. I have never read this book...definitely looking forward to your review.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cat, it's kind of you to say so. I will be posting my review on Sunday.

      Thank you for your comment,
      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...