Thursday, 21 August 2014

The Blacksmith

Beware girls for the handsome guys, not all can be trusted, Here are three different versions of a song that is very dear to me: The Blacksmith.

Loreena McKennit, if you don't know her, get acquainted. She has a voice like an angel.





Traditional Folk Music, sung by a man. It is very different, but still very good




Ah, my favorite band at last. No band has ever since played like Flairck. And no band ever will.




"Blacksmith"

A blacksmith courted me
Nine months and better
He fairly won my heart
Wrote me a letter
With his hammer in his hand
He looked quite clever
And if I was with my love
I'd live forever.

But where is my love gone
With his cheeks like roses
And his good black billycock on
Decked round with primroses
I'm afraid the scorching sun
Will shine and burn his beauty
And if I was with my love
I'd do my duty.

Strange news is come to town
Strange news is carried
Strange news flies up and down
That my love is married.
I wish them both much joy
Though they can't bear me
And may God reward him well
For the slighting of me.

Don't you remember when
You lay beside me
And you said you'd marry me
And not deny me
If I said I'd marry you
It was only for to try you
So bring your witness love
And I'll not deny you.

No witness have I none
Save God Almighty
And may he reward you well
For the slighting of me.

Her lips grew pale and wan
It made a poor heart tremble
To think she loved a one
And he proved deceitful.

A blacksmith courted me
Nine months and better
He fairly won my heart
Wrote me a letter
With his hammer in his hand
He looked quite clever
And if I was with my love
I'd live forever.




4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful song Han! I really loved the way Derry Quay sang it as an upbeat folk song. The instrumental by Flairck was hauntingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same song and all so different. I did no know of Derry Quay, but I was pleasently surprised. The Flairck version is indeed full of mystery and temptation like most of their work.

      Delete
  2. Very nice.
    I like them all 3.
    Thank you Han.

    ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them all as well Mona Lisa. It is a very lovely song isn't it?
      Bastard, that blacksmith of course. Making promises to that girl and chicken out. I'm glad she will marry another bloke.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...