Sunday, 31 July 2016

Intimacy

I love this poem. I love the passion. I love the rawness. I am not a fence not a wall. I am not your fate. I am not your government. I am not your FBI. I am not even your mother, not your father or your nightmare or your health, she says. Think about those words for a moment. How many time do we have to play a role in life, we don't want or even like?

I know I'm a romantic fool but have you ever read anything more beautiful than:
I suggest you walk into my pain as into the breaking waves of an ocean of blood, and either we will both drown or we will climb out together and walk away.' ?
Either we both drown or we will climb out together. And walk away. It takes your breath away doesn't it?


Why does my life so often
feel like a slither of entrails
pouring from a wound in my belly?
With both my hands I grasp
my wet guts, trying to force
them back in.

                    Why does my life
so often feel like a wild
black lake under the midnight
thunder where I am drowning,
waves crashing over my face
as I try to breathe.

                            Why
does my life feel like a war
I am fighting alone? Why are
you fighting me? Why aren’t
you with me? If I die this instant
will you be more content
with the morning news?
Will your coffee taste better?
I am not your fate. I am not your government.
I am not your FBI. I am not
even your mother, not your father
or your nightmare or your health.
I am not a fence, not a wall.
I am not the law or the actuarial tables
of your insurance broker. I am
a woman with my guts loose
in my hands, howling and it is not
because I committed hara-kiri.
I suggest either you cook me
or sew me back up. I suggest you walk
into my pain as into the breaking
waves of an ocean of blood, and either
we will both drown or we will
climb out together and walk away.'

From: Marge Piercy;  'Moon Is Always Female.'

9 comments:

  1. You are a romantic, much more so than me. The good news is my husband is like you. - a romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is more like you Leigh! I remember when we just were dating we were in this Itialian restaurant, way to expensive for me but I wanted to impress the lady, and some singers gathered around us and asked to play a romantic or a more up tempo song. Romantic, I said. Up tempo, she said...

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are a romantic...love it!

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life feels lake the waves are crashing over my face as I'm trying to breathe. Honestly Cat, it is impossible to write more beautiful then that? Have you ever felt the wetness over your face in salty tears or sweet water?


      The book the Moon is always female is not new, but so beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Sigh, and one more.
    A romantic man.
    Sigh, and one more.
    Beautifull poem.

    ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a woman with my guts loose in my hands, howling and it is not because I committed hara-kiri.
      I suggest either you cook me or sew me back up.

      How beautiful is: howling and it is not because I committed hara-kiri.

      Oh, dear I'm getting a little worked up by this poem.
      I'm glad you liked it.

      Han

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love how you love this poem....not all the sweet, lovey words, but real passion is what I get from reading this poem. I thought I had loss my romantic side..and then I met the one who would sew me back up....walk into my pain....
    thank you for finding and sharing this...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old post from 2014 I accidentally reposted. Reading it again the feeling comes back just how powerful this poem really is.

      So, seeing your comment really made me glad I reposted it after all.

      Thank you,
      Han

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Han for bringibg this post back to us.
    A strong and sooooo beautiful poem.
    Mrs. Marge Piercy knew , what she was talking about .

    Thank you, Han.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...