Friday, 29 August 2014

A woman chained to a rock

Andromeda had the misfortune to be the daughter of the vain Cassiopeia, wife of King Cepheus of Ethiopia. As a result of Cassiopeia's boast that she was as beautiful as the Nereids (sea nymphs), Poseidon (sea god) sent a great sea monster to ravage the coastline.

An oracle told the king that the only way to get rid of the sea monster was to surrender his virgin daughter Andromeda to the sea monster; so he did, much as happened in the Roman story of Cupid and Psyche. King Cepheus chained Andromeda to a rock in the sea where the hero saw her.

Rembrandts Andromeda


Perseus was still wearing the winged sandals of Hermes that he had used in the task of carefully decapitating Medusa, while watching what he was doing only through a mirror. He asked what had happened to Andromeda, then when he heard, he promptly offered to rescue her by killing the sea monster, but on condition that her parents give her to him in marriage. With her safety uppermost in their minds, they instantly agreed.

And so Perseus slew the monster, unchained the princess and brought Andromeda back to her much relieved parents.

Andromeda inspired many artists. One of the most famous paintings is the one above of Rembrandt van Rijn.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lesson Han...you explain it much better than the history books.

    Of course, I know why you're sharing this particular story...you like the way she looks tied up don't ya. ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, you really think I would tell you this story from the Greek mythology just to look at a redhead with naked tits in chains, do you? You know me well ;-) When I was very, very young I soon discovered that looking at naked girls in my fathers magazines was not acceptable, but looking in an artbook at the naked women was a sign of being mature beyond your age.


      So I remember Rembrands painting. The chains are a bonus Cat. Sale at van Meegeren! Two for the price of one.

      Ah well, lets keep it our little secret, Cat. LOL

      Delete
  2. Cat, Han..lol..

    Thanks, Han, well told.
    It pleases my heart when I see what Rembrand considered beautiful.
    Her stomach ... it looks like my ..lol .. so after three kids my stomach is pretty ..lol .. ok, I accept it today. Today, I need to believe in it ..lol ..

    Take care,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to sound like an arsekisser here Mona Lisa, but isn't she beautiful. Scared but beautiful. I would be scared if you father would chain me to a rock and give me as meat for the seamonster. Anyway she was more pretty then the Nereids wasn;t she.
      And Rembrandt painted it so beautiful, the contrast between dark and the girls skin.
      And her breasts are pretty too of course. And being chained is a bonus of course.

      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Mona Lisa of all people should know that.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...